Sunday, November 20, 2011

Saturday this time (Graphic Warning!)

Life is precarious and special.  How do I know this you ask?  Well it was sort of a bad day for me on my unit.  Not really bad, someone didn't die, but something scary did happen.  I took over at change of shift for a woman who had just delivered her baby girl.  Now, the common procedure is to check her blood pressure and vitals every 15 minutes and also to massage her fundus and check on her bleeding.  All seemed to be going well, but after the five checks were over (the minimum amount of times we are required to do this), she complained of feeling dizzy and feeling a lot of gushing.  I laid her back and immediately tried to massage the fundus and was unable to find it at that time.  I called out calmly for help on the intercom and sure enough my patient was experiencing a little postpartum hemorrhage.  Eventually had to happen I suppose in my line of work but this left me pretty shaken up for the rest of the night.  She was fine by the way, lest I leave anyone concerned for her well being, just had to have her bladder emptied and a little medication given via IV and rectally (good times).  But of course this whole experience had me thinking too much, as I'm prone to do.  These women and babies that are born in my care, they are putting their lives in my hands.  The littlest thing could end up damaging someone, like too much air in an IV line, and I worry almost every day that I might do something that will damage somebody...let alone that I could accidentally kill them.  It's a scary thought and I try to have reverence for the fact that what I am doing is very serious work and should be taken as such.  I know there are bound to be more nights like this, and nights where something even more scary could happen. I hope they are few and far in between and that I do whatever is best and right for my patients.
With that thought in mind, here was my song for tonight...
"Breakable"~Ingrid Michaelson
Have you ever thought about what protects our hearts?
Just a cage of rib bones and other various parts.
So it's fairly simple to cut right through the mess,
And to stop the muscle that makes us confess.

And we are so fragile,
And our cracking bones make noise,
And we are just,
Breakable, breakable, breakable girls and boys.

You fasten my seatbelt because it is the law.
In your two ton death trap I finally saw.
A piece of love in your face that bathed me in regret.

Then you drove me to places I'll never forget.

And we are so fragile,
And our cracking bones make noise,
And we are just,
Breakable, breakable, breakable girls and boys.

And we are so fragile,
And our cracking bones make noise,
And we are just,
Breakable, breakable, breakable girls-
Breakable, breakable, breakable girls-
Breakable, breakable, breakable girls and boys. 

1 comment:

Jodi said...

Isn't it amazing what can happen?!?! Way to handle it well... you are a great RN! So proud!!! Jodi