Tuesday, June 07, 2011

Word of the day~Preceptorship

pre·cept

–noun
1.  a commandment or direction given as a rule of action or conduct.  2. an injunction as to moral conduct; maxim.  3. a procedural directive or rule, as for the performance of some technical operation.

I have had a lot of questions about my preceptorship for the summer.  I can come to the conclusion that this word does not in fact exist since every time I type it in either a document or facebook it inevitably is underlined in red like I've spelled it wrong.  The definition of precept is what I've listed above.  I'll add to that for my definition of preceptor-ship, it is like a non-paid internship for the summer whereby I am working alongside a nurse 1-1 all summer and learning more and doing more than we have done in previous clinical rotations.  I have been lucky enough to be assigned to the Family Birth Center at Tacoma General.  I am very happy and excited to see what I will be dealing with this summer and learning more than I have learned already.  But let's face it, I'm mostly excited because hello....babies!!!  Or as I keep telling people, I will be elbow deep in vag for most of the summer.  Ha ha.  I start tomorrow, Wednesday, and am greatly looking forward to it.  I'm also excited because typically in labor and delivery you get to wear hospital issued scrubs which means....no ugly uncomfortable PLU scrubs for the summer.  Woohoo!

We had the first day of summer semester on Monday and so far it looks manageable and like I will do well.  I've definitely already put a lot of effort in as I'm 11 out of 14 chapters into one of the books we need to read for the summer.  I actually printed stuff out ahead of time and am using my organizer book; which is odd for me to say the least.  So some exciting things coming up (not necessarily in any particular order):  Kendra's UW Graduation, Devan's 9th Birthday, Will's 39th Birthday, Sarah's Baby Shower, and of course Kerry's 41st Birthday too!  It is going to be a very busy summer I can tell already.  Enough for now, on to today's song...

"Turning Tables"~Adele

Close enough to start a war
All that I have is on the floor
God only knows what we're fighting for
All that I say, you always say more

I can't keep up with your turning tables
Under your thumb I can't breathe

So, I won't let you close enough to hurt me
No, I won't rescue you to just desert me
I can't give you the heart you think you gave me
It's time to say goodbye to turning tables
To turning tables

Under haunted skies I see you
Where love is lost your ghost is found
I braved a hundred storms to leave you
As hard as you try, no, I will never be knocked down

I can't keep up with your turning tables
Under your thumb I can't breathe

So, I won't let you close enough to hurt me,
No, I won't rescue you to just desert me
I can't give you the heart you think you gave me
It's time to say goodbye to turning tables
To turning tables

Next time I'll be braver
I'll be my own savior
When the thunder calls for me
Next time I'll be braver
I'll be my own savior
Standing on my own two feet

I won't let you close enough to hurt me,
No, I won't rescue you to just desert me
I can't give you the heart you think you gave me
It's time to say goodbye to turning tables
To turning tables
Turning tables, yeah
Turning, oh 

No comments: