Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Life & Death

No, what I have to say isn't a matter of (life & death that is), but that is what I'm going to talk about.  I started my preceptor-ship last week and it's going very well.  So far I've been in on about 4 births and have even coached a woman all the way through her labor to delivery.  It was freaking awesome, I loved it!  This family was waiting to find out the sex of their baby and they found out together.  It was a beautiful thing when their baby girl came out and the doctor announced it to both of them and they started crying together.  What has been interesting to see so far is that every lady's pregnancy is unique and special to them in different ways, just as their deliveries are too.  But with the good also comes the....not as good.
On Sunday I was able to take care of a woman who had to deliver her baby early and it was stillborn.  I can't begin to describe to you the range of emotions that went through me as the student nurse working with this family.  On the one hand it was hard not to cry and just break down for them in their loss.  On the other hand I had to be strong and support them in whatever manner they needed, yet also did not want to seem like I was uncaring for their situation.  I hope that the things I was able to do to help this family did in fact help them and that I was able to strike the right balance between professional and feeling.  My heart went out to them so much it was all I could do not to take the mom in my arms and just hold her and rock her (it didn't help that she was a petite little doll of a thing that I could probably pick up even if she had been 9 months pregnant).
Even despite the not as fun times I wouldn't trade this experience for anything in the world.  Being able to witness miracles of life every day reminds me how precious life is and how brief and short it can all begin or end.  It makes me treasure the free time I have outside of school and look forward to the times I get to be at the hospital.  I hope I am making a difference in the lives of these families who so often are touching my own life!
No song for today, just leave you with  my good wishes and lots of love!

No comments: