Wednesday, March 09, 2011

Mother-Baby Unit=Awesome

Well I've completed my few days of my obstetrics rotation in the Mother Baby unit.  I have to tell you, it was fantastic!  Jodi, my classmate and cohort in crime, she actually said I was glowing.  That's a high compliment considering I am the palest chick ever and typically during our school stuff I am constantly telling her how not smart I am.  I got to care for the same mom and baby couplet on Tuesday and could not have been more excited to work with them.  I was able to be present during a very scary situation for this first time mom.  Just before I was ready to be observed by my instructor for my newborn assessment I realized that my mom's room was out of medium sized gloves.  So I went to get some gloves and when I came back I heard my mom call out, "Tami?" which is the name of the nurse I was assisting that was actually assigned to her.  I told her no, that it was me, and she said, "can you please come help me right away?".  I immediately went into her area only to find her standing over baby's crib with baby turned to one side and the bulb syringe in her hand (for those of you who don't know what a bulb syringe looks like, it's the thing that people use to suck out baby's boogers).  Turns out baby was coughing/spitting up mucous, which is normal in the first 48 hours of life, as well as the colostrum that he had already partially ingested earlier that day (colostrum is the pre-cursor to a woman's breast milk coming into her breasts).  I picked baby up and immediately put him over my shoulder as mom watched nervously on, concerned that her baby was choking or somehow being injured.  I reassured her as best I could that he was just fine, he was still breathing and getting air as was apparent by his pink skin tone and lusty breaths he was taking.  My instructor was nearby and I had her confirm with me what I had found and mom started crying, as any first time mom might, absolutely scared and terrified at what her baby is doing and worried about the time when she would be going home with baby alone.  I comforted her as best I could and reassured her that she had already done the right thing, trying to boost her confidence as best I could to assure her that she would do just fine with this new and exciting world of parenting.  The best part of the next few hours I spent with her and her family, as well as baby, were reassuring her of her abilities and AGAIN getting baby to latch effectively onto the breast for breastfeeding.  She had not done this since I had been there the previous day (she had been pumping and bottle feeding baby the breast milk), so I felt very proud of my skills in assisting with her breastfeeding.  By the end of the night when I had to say my goodbyes mom was asking if I could just come move in with her for a few weeks until Dad comes home from deployment.  I told her absolutely, because of course who wouldn't want to be the expert on something and help people?!?!?  Not me obviously.  But it was bittersweet to say goodbye and I truly wish her all the best with her new role as Mom.

People, this was an absolutely beautiful experience for me.  It may in fact be where I end up in nursing, who knows, but I am definitely leaving the option open.  I am excited for labor and delivery and to see the miracle of birth as it happens (well aside from watching Tiffany and my sister, hello ladies!).  I feel so blessed to be a part of these families lives as they welcome a new life into the world and reminded of just how awesome a presence God is in all of this.  If anything in this world can be proven to show that we have a creator in this world it is the process of conception, pregnancy, and giving birth.  Okay, sorry everyone for waxing somewhat nostalgic there.  I truly hope this is something I get to experience in my life.

Another thing I was able to experience yesterday was the MOM's group.  This is a weekly meeting on Tuesdays where new moms can bring babies to be weighed, consult with lactation, and discuss any issues with the pediatrician that is available.  I lucked out as I immediately was able to assist a mother of twins with caring for the male infant while she was changing and comforting the female infant, who had had a major blowout in her diaper.  I picked baby up, cradled him against my chest with the binky in his mouth, and rocked him back and forth as I sang to him.  I am slightly embarrassed to say that Jodi in fact witnessed me singing to him, which I did not realize until today, but she said my voice was pretty as I sang, "Heaven, I'm in heaven, and my heart beats so that I can barely breathe".....did I mention again how much I love babies and children?!?!  Anyway, yet again this was a time when I was "glowing".  I also got caught making goo goo faces at another baby that was there, which of course makes me feel silly.

Long post, so time to end with a song.  It's another one I sing to Frances before bed, although now she tells me (if I try to hum any of it) that I need to keep singing.  Smart kid that one.
"Down to the River to Pray"~Allison Krauss
As I went down in the river to pray
Studying about that good ol' way
And who shall wear the starry crown?
Good Lord show me the way!

O sisters let's go down
Let's go down, come on down
O sisters let's go down
Down in the river to pray

As I went down in the river to pray
Studying about that good ol' way
And who shall wear the robe & crown?
Good Lord show me the way

O brothers let's go down
Let's go down, come on down
Come on brothers, let's go down
Down in the river to pray

As I went down in the river to pray
Studying about that good ol' way
And who shall wear the starry crown?
Good Lord show me the way

O fathers let's go down
Let's go down, come on down
O fathers let's go down
Down in the river to pray

As I went down in the river to pray
Studying about that good ol' way
And who shall wear the robe and crown?
Good Lord show me the way

O mothers let's go down
Come on down, don't you wanna go down?
Come on mothers, let's go down
Down in the river to pray

As I went down in the river to pray
Studding about that good ol' way
And who shall wear the starry crown?
Good Lord show me the way

O sinners, let's go down
Let's go down, come on down
O sinners, let's go down
Down in the river to pray

As I went down in the river to pray
Studying about that good ol' way
And who shall wear the robe and crown?
Good Lord show me the way 

No comments: