Monday, March 07, 2011

Good Day

I post a lot of depressing stuff here sometimes, I admit it....hey people when you are sarcastic and depressed sometimes that is what you have to post about.  But today, today was a good day and I wanted to capture and remember it.  Was it the most particular fantastic thing that could have happened today...NO...but it was just overall a decent day.  It was  my long day today for the OB rotation, 12 hours from start to finish.  I started off my day with two of my favorite classmates and I tagging along with the lactation consultant out at Madigan.  She did a great job, and although it was a very rare slow day, we were able to ask her a lot of questions and I feel personally like I learned some great things from her.  After a brief break we began our time on the mother-baby unit and I was super happy with the couplet that I was assigned to.  A couplet refers to caring for the mother and baby as a pair (since I know some of you will not have heard that term before I thought I'd tell you what it meant).  This mother was a 38 year old first time mother who thought she'd never be able to have kids.  She married late in life and found the spouse she'd been looking for and after much trying and some issues/setbacks she did conceive and I got to see the beautiful positive proof of that today at the hospital.  Now this baby boy was beautiful with a full head of dark hair and gorgeous skin...he also happened to be the biggest baby I've seen born yet, 11 lbs. 9 oz.  Poor mom delivered him vaginally and she ended up with a 4th degree laceration.  I'll spare you the scary and horrific details but needless to say she's going to be doing some recovery time after this delivery.  The highlight of my day was being able to allay this woman's fears related to breastfeeding AND spending enough time with her I was able, with the assistance of my instructor, to help her and baby boy together for the first latch and basically her first successful breastfeeding.  I couldn't have been more excited!  I know this may not seem like the most awesome thing to some of you, but trust me if you had been there....you would have understood what a success this is for a new mom to achieve.  I am so happy and proud that I was able to be a part of that.

Now on another note, I've been doing a lot of soul searching, a lot of questioning both of myself and others.  I will spare you all the super boring details but needless to say I've started making some changes in my life...well mostly in the last 24 hours.  One physical change is that I started a new eating and workout plan, courtesy of my super healthy BFF Tiffany.  She's thinking she might want to do nutrition/fitness/something...with her next career path so I guess you could say I am technically going to be her first client.  One not so physical change that I have also done, well some of you won't really understand or believe it, but I asked for forgiveness....with true feelings of regret, sadness, and sorrow over things that I have done I prayed for forgiveness.  Just one more step in the process of growing and changing and being the person I know I am and want to be.

On that note, my song for tonight is Mumford & Sons, of course.  "Awake My Soul"
How fickle my heart and how woozy my eyes
I struggle to find any truth in your lies
And now my heart stumbles on things I don't know
This weakness I feel I must finally show

Lend me your hand and we'll conquer them all
But lend me your heart and I'll just let you fall
Lend me your eyes I can change what you see
But your soul you must keep, totally free
Har har, har har, har har, har har

In these bodies we will live, in these bodies we will die
Where you invest your love, you invest your life
In these bodies we will live, in these bodies we will die
Where you invest your love, you invest your life

Awake my soul, awake my soul
Awake my soul
You were made to meet your maker
Awake my soul, awake my soul
Awake my soul
You were made to meet your maker
You were made to meet your maker


No comments: