Sunday, December 12, 2010

Tis the Season

Gather round little kiddies, I'm going to tell you a holiday tale...well not likely but it will be a tale nonetheless holiday or no.  Today, well today is the last day before I have four days of finals.  That's right, Mon/Tues/Wed/Thurs I am finalling it up for my fall semester.  I have loved this semester!  It has had its ups and downs, as they all do I am sure, however I loved mental health nursing (really, does that surprise anyone) and I have really enjoyed my medical surgical rotation on the oncology unit!  It is nice to know that no matter how I do with test taking in the nursing program (which seems to be not as well as my normally brainy self does), I do very well clinically and provide excellent patient care.  That's what matters right?  Things I have done this semester that I am excited about:  gave medications safely-oral/rectal/subcutaneously/intramuscularly/and via IV pushes, I changed briefs on a woman who was on comfort care in her last days of life-spending time with her while I fed her one of her last meals, discussing hospice care with a patient's wife and then additionally with that patient, visiting with a patient on my off hours, having a woman want to adopt me as her foster granddaughter, giving oxygen, doing a full assessment, admitting someone to our floor, working with a client in mental health who on my last day came out to me as being bisexual, having a patient tell me he uses marijuana on a daily basis, inserting a catheter on a male client, and being with a client who the next day had a "celestial discharge" as they call it (she passed away).  I think of how much my life has been improved and expanded because of all of these experiences.  And then I think, how lucky am I to have my health, to have the health of Kerry my wonderful wife, my friends and family.  How lucky my Aunt is that although she has breast cancer she is fighting, that organizations with free care for cancer exist, and she is getting what she needs.
I sat today and read all of the Christmas cards we have received so far.  How blessed that we have so many friends and family that care enough about us to send us cards.  To know that we are thought of during their busy holiday seasons.  Truly it is times like these that remind me no matter what life may throw at us, or what kinds of challenges we may be facing, we are still rich in spirit with love of friends and family.  Even sometimes when blessed with new friends-my cohort in the nursing school.  I love those guys.  We get along so well, even when at times we want to kill each other.  The 17 of us will always be a family of sorts, and at least a few of them will be new lifelong friends I have no doubt.
So at times like this, I just want everyone to know I love them, and am blessed to have you all in my life.

"Have yourself a merry little Christmas"

Have yourself a merry little Christmas,
Let your heart be light
From now on,
our troubles will be out of sight

Have yourself a merry little Christmas,
Make the Yule-tide gay,
From now on, 
our troubles will be miles away.

Here we are as in olden days,
Happy golden days of yore.
Faithful friends who are dear to us
Gather near to us once more.

Through the years 
We all will be together,
If the Fates allow
Hang a shining star upon the highest bough.
And have yourself A merry little Christmas now.  

No comments: