Thursday, September 16, 2010

You know what really grinds my gears?!?

Ok, before I tell you, that title...it's a reference to Family Guy.  If you didn't know that, I thought you should, because I love that show.  Okay, so also in case you didn't know, the Seattle Storm won the WNBA championship tonight.  It was a close but great game.  So of course I post on FB (facebook duh) about how glad I am that they won and it was such an intense game.  So this guy I know from HS, whom I've always thought of as a pretty level headed, pro girls, liberal type of dude posts this:


Grant R Now if the City of Seattle could just get a championship that mattered.


So of course, this just pisses me off.  And various levels of the stupidness comments ensue such as:

That doesn't change the fact that, in the grand scheme of things, the WNBA doesn't really matter as a professional sport.
Oh come on...do you honestly, and objectively, think women athletes are competing at the same level as men?
And I, personally, posted a comment the other day congratulating them after winning game one...but WNBA is not a major sport.
Jaime, they should be compared because women's sports are not nearly as entertaining as men's sports. That's why they aren't (and likely never will be) as popular. That's why they don't matter as much, because people aren't watching them.
An
d yes, it is the only championship the city has won lately, but if the Rainiers win the PCL championship it won't matter, either. When the Tacoma Stars won a a championship, it didn't matter. Because these sports aren't important on a grand scale.

I want to respect everyone's right to have an opinion, but come on?!?  I should clarify that all of the comments listed here were not from this one person, but also from some of his friends.  Should I point out how many FIFA world cups the women have won and how many the men have NOT?  Or should I talk about other items I see as not entertaining sports....BASEBALL?  Really, nine fucking innings of retardness to have scores like 3-1 and such?  At least we can get scores like that in 90 minutes during soccer, why drag out the agony of this oh so "entertaining" baseball game...

I am a female athlete.  My best friend is a female athlete as are a lot of other friends, and at least one of my nieces (hopefully my other one will be too).  Frances, my youngest niece, is almost 2 years old and I pray to god that she grows up to be an athlete like her mother and me (her aunt)....I don't care if she plays baseball, basketball, or soccer, but that she plays it, enjoys it and has a good time.  And if she grows up to play a sport at a level that some stupid men might say is "not entertaining, not a major sport, not real"....well I will be all the more proud of her.

And in honor of the US Women's Soccer Team, their them song from last year:
"Suddenly I See"

Her face is a map of the world
Is a map of the world
You can see she's a beautiful girl
She's a beautiful girl
And everything around her is a silver pool of light
The people who surround her feel the benefit of it
It makes you calm
She holds you captivated in her palm

Suddenly I see (Suddenly I see)
This is what I wanna be
Suddenly I see (Suddenly I see)
Why the hell it means so much to me

I feel like walking the world
Like walking the world
You can hear she's a beautiful girl
She's a beautiful girl
She fills up every corner like she's born in black and white
Makes you feel warmer when you're trying to remember
What you heard
She likes to leave you hanging on her word

Suddenly I see (Suddenly I see)
This is what I wanna be
Suddenly I see (Suddenly I see)
Why the hell it means so much to me

And she's taller than most
And she's looking at me
I can see her eyes looking from a page in a magazine
Oh she makes me feel like I could be a tower
A big strong tower
She got the power to be
The power to give
The power to see

Suddenly I see (Suddenly I see)
This is what I wanna be
Suddenly I see (Suddenly I see)
Why the hell it means so much to me 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.