Monday, September 13, 2010

September, already, really?!?

Okay so I'm not quite four weeks post surgery, and as of tomorrow I'm one week into the school semester.  Not too bad, all things considered.  The giant bruise/hematoma on the left side of my mid abdomen region still hasn't gone down, but I have a follow up appointment with the doctor on Wednesday so hopefully he'll have some more positive news for me on that front.  Ooh, speaking of the positives, have to give a shout out to my Seattle Storm, who are currently 1-0 in the series lead for the finals against Atlanta Dream.  Tomorrow is game #2 and Kerry and I are super excited.
My first clinical rotation this semester: psych.  And not just your average run of the mill psych, we're talking criminally insane people.  Center for Forensic Services at Western State Hospital, have my own ID badge and set of keys.  That makes me feel....well not quite important but at least trusted!  Definitely more time on my schedule this semester.  As soon as doc clears me for cardio I am so back in the gym.  Ugh, it's been too long of a hiatus that is for certain.
Back to classes though, this semester I have mental health, medical surgical nursing, pharmacology (which i already love) and foundations of professional nursing (which is a fuck ton of reading).
Found out a couple of weeks ago that my aunt got diagnosed with breast cancer.  Never a good thing of course, but I'm glad to report that they were able to remove all masses with surgery and she will have a brief round of chemo (or radiation i can't remember) but the doctors expect her to have a full remission.  Now of course this is great news, but scary for the family as of course we all need to be extra diligent with our breast exams and (if of age) our mammograms.  Not fun.  But of course all the stuff I keep learning is about prevention....healthy diet, exercise, reduce stress, get plenty of sleep.  You know, all of that stuff we tend to put on the wayside while "life" is happening.  So hard to balance, for every one of us, but we all keep trying.
Off to read, but in honor of my clinical here is the song

"Straightjacket"
Alanis Morissette


Something so benign for me construed as cruelty
Such a difference between who I am and who you see

Conclusions you come to of me routinely incorrect
I don’t know who you’re talking to with such fucking disrespect

This shit’s making me crazy
The way you nullify what’s in my head
You say one thing do another
And argue that’s not what you did
Your way’s making me mental
How you filter as skewed interpret
I swear you won’t be happy til
I am bound in a straight jacket

Talking with you’s like talking to a sive that can’t hear me
You fight me tooth and nail to disavow what’s happening

Your resistance to a mirror I feel screaming from your body
One day I’ll introduce myself and you’ll see you’ve not yet met me

This shit’s making me crazy
The way you nullify what’s in my head
You say one thing do another
And argue that’s not what you did
Your way’s making me mental
How you filter as skewed interpret
I swear you won’t be happy til
I am bound in a straight jacket

Grand dissonance
The strings of my puppet are cut
The end of an era
Your discrediting’s lost my consent 

No comments: