Monday, November 26, 2007

'Tis the Season

Okay, for those of you that know me fairly well, one of my biggest fears (aside from spiders) is that something will go wrong with my car-WHILE I am driving it. John can attest to the fact that when something has gone wrong with my car, my sometimes rational self completely disappears and is replaced my a raving lunatic who cannot think for herself let alone make decisions on how to fix something. That being said... I drove with Kerry into work a few mornings last week so we could save time carpooling together. Usually I then drive to the train station so that when I'm off work, I can get the car and go pick her up. One of the evenings this happened, a woman was walking behind me while we were going to get our cars. She was seriously sick people, she was hacking up a lung and generally sounded like she was having a rough time. We ended up parked next to each other and both got into our cars to warm them up (yup its actually getting cold enough for that now). I of course, had the radio and heat blasting so couldn't hear anything, but saw as the woman got out of her car and looked around that she might be in some distress-vehicle wise. I rolled down the window and asked if she needed some help. She asked to use my cell phone, which I kindly gave to her, and then asked her if she needed a jump for her car. She did, I gave it to her (after much discussion on the "right" way to do this) and all ended well for both of us on this episode. She was very thankful, and although it was not a big deal to me, I was glad that I could help her out. I'm not saying I changed the world here people, but this woman was sick and alone and couldn't get her car started on a late night. I think I made her day a bit better, all by being a kind stranger. (Not to mention that she looked like one of the "moms" in my life, JoAnn, so of course I had to help her). I realized after helping her, that sometimes we get too caught up in our own lives/problems and forget how good we might actually have it. So, remember, tis the season, give a little more and be a little bit kinder-perhaps try to remember that a little bit longer than just during the holidays. "To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 comment:

AlaskaMe said...

Well way to be in the helpful holiday spirit. i am so proud of you.